Is your child struggling to identify and integrate the internal systems necessary for leading a self-aware and self-regulated life? Is this impacting on their social, emotional and scholastic development: Are there regular tantrums, ‘meltdowns’, acts of defiance and opposition – both at home and at school? Has there been increased avoidance of school and schoolwork? Does your child/teen struggle to concentrate, to follow instructions, to control their impulses? Has there been a sudden or gradual change in mood and/or academic performance? Are you a parent or caregiver seeking guidance and support in the management of a dysregulated and wounded child/family system?
Welcome to my therapy space
A place where safety, connection and relationship are of primary importance. A place where you and your child are invited to seek, explore, and play. Each and every one of you is invited to navigate your way through the various services and events on offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information. Stay Safe, Jessica.
For the past 15 years, I have had the opportunity to work in various contexts and settings within our beautiful and culturally dynamic city. I have grown and developed alongside the many children, parents, caregivers and educators whom I have met and worked with along the way; providing my services as a remedial facilitator, school counsellor, educator and psychologist to various stakeholders in both the private and public education sectors. In more recent years, my focus has shifted primarily to the framework and teachings of traumatology (the study of people exposed to highly stressful and traumatic events) and educational neuroscience (the scientific study of how the brain learns). It is through this lens that one reframes the way we look at our children. Instead of asking ‘What is wrong with this child?’ We ask: ‘What happened to this child?’, thereby moving away from pathologising, diagnosing and labelling, and shifting our attention instead to healthy emotional-regulation techniques and problem-solving strategies – aimed at seeking and discovering our true inner state of being.
Despite the pain, difficulty and resistance that so many young people experience at the start of their
journey, it is inspiring to bear witness to the innate resilience, determination and tenacity that each and
every person possesses.
It is this growth, this ultimate seeking of self, that drives my passion for the work that I do.
The Therapeutic Journey
Our therapeutic journey will be framed within a trauma-informed lens, guided by the interweaving of
internal systems integration, cognitive development and overall well-being.
What to expect:
- An initial 90 minute in-depth parent / caregiver consultation
- 2 – 3 initial explorative sessions with child / teen client
- Follow up / touch base caregiver session/s
- Treatment plan involving a client-centered and family-systems approach
- Continuation of client sessions in accordance with treatment plan
- Termination Session, family consultation, establishing a way forward
Various therapeutic modalities will be integrated in the treatment approach, including:
- IFS (Internal Family Systems)
- TF-CBT (Trauma-Based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga and Mind-Body Connection
- Sandtray Therapy
Based on the needs of the individual client, certain interventions will be explored during the therapeutic
journey, such as:
- Exploration and Healing of Wounds (IFS)
- Mind-body / self-regulation techniques (TSY)
- Brain-based learning strategies and support
- Educator support and guidance
- Family mediation / support (IFS / FST)
- Brain-aligned discipline strategies
- Cognitive/scholastic assessment
Individual Therapeutic Support ● Family Guidance and Mediation ● Psycho-educational / Cognitive Assessment ● Career guidance ● Educator/ Staff Training and Development (Trauma-Informed Schools)
- ‘ADHD’ / Impulsivity / Defiance / Tantrums / Meltdowns / Emotional Outbursts
- Withdrawal / Dissociation (‘daydreaming’) / Changes in Eating and/or Sleeping Habits
- Anxious / ‘Clingy’ / Night Terrors / School Avoidance / Teary
- Learning Difficulties / Changes in Academic Performance / Gaps in Learning
Additional Credentials and Certification
- Trauma Informed Certificate: Course 1 [Community Resilience Initiative]
- Clinical Application of the Internal Family Systems Theory [Certified Course; PESI]
- Sand Tray and Applied Sand Tray Therapy [Red Shoe Play Therapy Training Centre]
- 200 hour Integral Yoga Teacher Training [Chaitanya School of Yoga]
- 20 hour Yoga 4 Kids Teacher Training
- Level 1 Brain Working Recursive Therapy – BWRT [Institute of Brain Working Recursive Therapy]
- Advanced Course in Play Therapy – Centre for Play Therapy and Training
Psychologist, MA, HPCSA – Ed. Psych
MEd Psych Stell. PS0131245; Pr No. 0908991
Table View 7441